Are There Any Exceptions to the Covid Eviction Ban?
Effective April 8 2021, Enforcement of Residential Eviction Is Suspended. However, If An Order Issued By the Landlord Tenant Board or a Superior Court Judge Requires Expedited Eviction, Enforcement May Still Proceed.
Understanding the 2021 Restrictions and Exceptions Regarding Eviction Enforcement Due to Covid19
On April 8 2021, the government issued an Order to suspend enforcement of residential evictions in response to the continuing Covid19 crisis. The Order comes with a few exceptions to allow an eviction when ordered expedited by either the Landlord Tenant Board or a Superior Court judge.
In accordance to O. Reg. 266/21 issued under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.9, all residential evictions are suspended unless ordered expedited by either the Landlord Tenant Board or a judge of the Superior Court of Justice. Specifically, the Order by Provincial Regulation states:
Terms of Order
1. The terms of this Order are set out in Schedule 1.
2. This Order applies as of 12:01 a.m. on April 8, 2021.
No enforcement of evictions or writs of possession
1. (1) No person shall attend at a residential premises for the purpose of enforcing any of the following:
1. An order evicting a tenant under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006.
2. A writ of possession issued by the Superior Court of Justice removing a person from their place of residence.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if,
(a) in respect of an order described in paragraph 1 of subsection (1), the Landlord and Tenant Board requests that the sheriff expedite the enforcement of the order; or
(b) in respect of a writ of possession described in paragraph 2 of subsection (1), a judge of the Superior Court of Justice orders that the sheriff expedite the enforcement of the writ.
As per the directives within the recent government Order, the enforcement of residential evictions is currently banned with a few exceptions. Unlike the eviction moratorium in 2020, the current Order provides the Landlord Tenant Board with the authority to issue an Order for an expedited eviction which is currently enforceable.